Thursday, April 21, 2011

Beautician On A Mission

My oldest Sister Allison was inspired months ago along with my Mother and Scott's help to put together an organization to help the homeless in Kansas City. It's so amazing to watch it finally come to life. My Sister started this by providing hair cuts to the homeless. They named it "Beautician On A Mission". They were inspired to put together back packs for them, filled with snacks, food, water, hygiene products, socks, underwear, sweaters, t shirts, shoes and so on. Thank you to Borders, who provided around 50 back packs and everyone else who helped donate some items and to the Church for all the bibles. They also created a website for "Beautician On A Mission" I attached the link to that website so you can all see what great things they are doing! I am so proud of my Sister and to everyone who has helped made this possible.

So I wanted to share my experience with you all. The first back pack mission was this last Sunday, after church Allison contacted the homeless shelter and we headed down town to the shelter. We had 50 back packs we handed out, along with the bibles and clothing. They were all overly excited! My Mom was talking to a lot of them and there were a few men who came up to her to ask for a prayer; it was so peaceful and humbling. Scott helped with handing out all the clothing and gave prayers. Leah, Alie's friend and Aaron helped pass out the back packs and bibles and joined in on the prayers and I was the camera girl of course! Lol, I couldn't miss those awesome moments but I did hand out a few bibles and back packs and talked with a few people while they shared their stories. I had no idea what to expect going there. It was so different then what I assumed, It was one of the most humbling, awesome experiences of my life!!!! I look forward to the next one and want to help out more! These people were the most grateful people ever! I remember looking over at a couple of them to watch them open their back packs; I was curious to see what they thought of it. One guy pulled out the cup of ramen noodles and screamed "There's even ramen noodles!!!!!" It really brings a tear to your eye to witness something like that; someone so grateful and thankful for what they have! These people were really opening up, sharing their stories, asking for prayer, weeping, asking for pictures! I can't even begin to tell you how awesome it was and how awesome these people were. It really makes you think twice and opens your eyes to really be more thankful, grateful and appreciative for the things you do have in life. As I said, I can't wait for the next one to bring back packs for those who didn't get one. They have so many more back packs to provide and would be so thankful to anyone that can help in any way possible. If you are interested in helping, click on the attached link to Beautician On A Mission in the right hand column of my blog. (They are still in the process of putting it together but is almost finished, so check back soon.) In the mean time, if you want to help in any way; contact me and I will have my Sister contact you.I do encourage you to check out the website either way, it's so amazing!









This guy sat down after getting his back pack and the first thing he did was opened the bible we gave him and read the entire time we were there! It was so cool!

My kids came too and really liked it and are already asking when to go back, I was so glad they had this oppertunity; it was a great learning experience for them,














2 comments:

Andrew and Shandee said...

Wow. That is awesome. I know you guys helped so much. What a neat experience. Miss ya.

MeriAnn said...

That is amazing!!! Very inspiring!