Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Road Trip to Little Rock

  So I had been anticipating going to Little Rock ever since Nate left but I had to wait for Braxton to finish School, well most of it anyway, he only missed 2 weeks. So finally it was time and I was so excited, I got the car all packed a couple days before we had to leave! Tuesday the 11th, we left at 7 A.M. We got 25 miles past Flagstaff and couldn't believe it, the entire I 40 E was blocked off due to strong winds and trucks were all tipped over. It was so frustrating cause there were no signs before hand warning the road was closed off. So every car and semi truck were all pulled over to the side of the road. We had to turn around and go back to Flagstaff cause it was the closest town. When I got there, I asked around for info and was told the road was suppose to open back up at 7 P.M. or until the wind calmed down. The kids and I ended up hanging out in the car for 3 hours outside of a gas station! Finally I couldn't stand it anymore and knew there was a big chance it might not even open up at 7, so we ended up getting a hotel room. I was so frustrated because I was planning on driving all day so we could get to Little Rock the next day on Braxton's Birthday and now we had only drove 3 hours and then ended up in a Hotel!! We went to bed at 8 and got up at 4 A.M. and hit the road at 4:30. Yeah, the road was opened up! I was told it opened back up at 8 last night but then there was an accident and closed down again and opened back up at 4 this morning, so it was perfect timing. There were tons of Tornados throughout Texas, Oklahoma and Arkansas. I was lucky to miss all of them including the storms, thanks to my Cousin Chad and my Aunty Cindy who called and texted me the entire way giving me updates on the weather. She told me to just keep driving so I would miss all the bad weather cause I guess it was all behind me; so I kept driving and before I knew it, I was only 190 miles from Little Rock; I figured I might as well finish it off and get there when I wanted to in the first place, so I did and ended up driving 19 hours in a day! My biggest driving accomplishment yet! but we made it and seriously, I was so dizzy and the ground was moving when I got out of the car, I couldn't even stand! I got good rest that night and was just so happy to have finally made it and be together as a family again!!

2 comments:

Leah said...

That is SO crazy! I would have been so mad about the road closure. But it's better that you are all safe. I can't believe you drove 19 hours! How did you do that?? I can't believe your kids let you! I'm not excited for all the driving I'm going to have to do soon. But I'm so glad you are all there safe!

Jessica and Mike Stosich said...

Way to go that you drove that far in one day!